Year-end reporting has often been a critical time for providers to action back again and evaluate their achievements and shortfalls, evaluate how those people final results when compared to the prior calendar year and set the phase for the future. Since each individual crisis ends with lessons discovered, innovation and reinvention, proactive providers will capitalize on this exceptional possibility to action-up their calendar year-end communications.
For numerous, this will suggest location a new bar for their calendar year-end reporting greatest practices: new depth to earnings reports, shareholder letters, and proxy statements. These files should consider all stakeholders who want to know additional about what you skilled in 2020—the strengths and the weaknesses—and what lessons you will use to your 2021 playbook. (See, “10 issues for crafting your 2020 calendar year-end messaging strategy,” at the end of this posting.)
Each COVID-19 and the social injustice issues of 2020 have set a vivid gentle on the worth of robust Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) practices, together with variety and inclusion (D&I) and human money administration (HCM). The guiding principle this calendar year is “actions discuss louder than words” interaction to all stakeholders. When additional disclosure on D&I in calendar year-end communications is predicted, traders are also hunting for actionable and measurable initiatives.
The following are some tips for calendar year-end 2020 communications.
Broaden the range of subjects in your shareholder letter.
Once-a-year report practices ongoing to evolve in 2020. Many big-cap leaders shifted from making a traditional stand-on your own once-a-year report to an built-in structure that combines the once-a-year report with sustainability reports. For an superb case in point of this solution, see how Jacobs Engineering told the tale of its COVID journey though delivering a truth-primarily based narrative close to the firm’s development with ESG and D&I.
For a far better 2020 shareholder letter, consider:
- A timely, considerate theme
- A effectively-penned and persuasive CEO letter that speaks to all stakeholders, not just shareholders
- Commentary on ESG insurance policies
- Powerful visuals, together with infographics and contact-out texts to make the doc effortless to browse and memorable
Beyond publicizing your once-a-year report via a press release, broaden its access by including a connected message from the CEO or chairman to your website, publishing report information on social media, and including a shorter, effectively-produced movie clip to your trader relations page.
Evolve the proxy to replicate greatest practices.
For numerous a long time now, we proposed that providers leverage the important serious estate in their proxy statements. Proxy practices have developed along with the change to passive investing and the proliferation of ESG funds. Increasingly, providers elect to get ready additional substantive proxy cover letters that incorporate their IR stories. That supplies proxy visitors the context they need to evaluate effectiveness and executive compensation without looking for other disclosures.
This is in particular important for providers whose 2020 final results were being negatively impacted by COVID-19. The goal in this article is to make it less complicated for active proxy visitors to get a holistic watch of the enterprise and rapidly turn out to be far better educated as responsible proxy voters. In the recent proxy season, providers are also leveraging their proxies to offer additional information on their HCM and D&I insurance policies.
Throughout the board, we are observing providers organizing cross-practical teams that incorporate IR industry experts and layout assets to compose persuasive proxy letters. The letters are penned in basic English with straightforward website navigation and experienced structure and layout factors to engage the reader far better and humanize their board and administration group.
For a treasure trove of proxy greatest practices, see Donnelley Financial Solutions’ (DFIN) “Guide to Productive Proxies.”
Establish-in an ESG narrative.
ESG communications will matter additional this calendar year. As BlackRock’s Larry Fink talked over in his 2021 letter to CEOs, “Assessing sustainability pitfalls demands that traders have obtain to steady, superior-excellent, and product general public information.”
Respondents to a new BlackRock study of institutional traders claimed they system to double their sustainable belongings below administration (AUM) in the following five years—from 18% of AUM right now to 37% by 2025. From January via November 2020, traders in mutual funds and exchange-traded funds directed $288 billion globally into sustainable belongings, a ninety six% increase from the whole previous calendar year. Smaller- and mid-cap providers just embarking on their individual ESG communications course of action can study a lot from their big-cap colleagues who have had effectively-set up ESG courses in spot for a long time.
We have encountered some administration teams who do not think they have an ESG tale. Other folks assume there’s no motive to dedicate time and assets to ESG. They motive that their only danger comes from big passive traders who could most likely vote proxy from them. As a counterpoint to that watch, we see quite a few persuasive reasons that sturdy ESG communications provide a competitive advantage to companies hunting to broaden their value proposition to all stakeholders.
- ESG fund flows additional than doubled in Oct from flows in April. In accordance to Morningstar, ESG fund flows climbed to $36 billion via Oct 2020, and institutional traders claimed they system to double their ESG investments above the following five a long time.
- Meanwhile, a growing checklist of stakeholders has revealed they care about ESG. These involve staff members, in particular millennials and youthful generations, who are in the workforce in great figures. Many shoppers and prospective customers have indicated that they prefer to do enterprise with ESG-welcoming providers way too. Increasingly, numerous M&A partners, who are driven by the transaction math of “1+1 = three,” are focused on ESG insurance policies.
- With the proliferation of new ESG scores, active traders are also asking providers for additional information about ESG, and provide-aspect analysts have taken to publishing reports ranking providers by their ESG scores.
- Ultimately, activism is also predicted to re-speed up in 2021, and there’s a trend for utilizing ESG inadequacies to open up the door to an activist marketing campaign. In accordance to Amy Lissauer, worldwide head of activism and raid defense advisory, Lender of The us, “We’re heading to see the emphasis on environmental and social additional than we have ever witnessed.” She adds that activism has extensive been focused on the “governance part of ESG investing. What we may well see in 2021 that is distinct is that ESG-focused proposals will get a lot additional help.”
Providers that have not begun the ESG journey should get started now—starting with how they took care of their stakeholders though taking care of via COVID. A great way to get the ESG ball rolling is to review the frameworks designed by Sustainability, Accountability Expectations Board or the Undertaking Power on Local weather-Linked Financial Disclosures and explain to the ESG tale you now have.
Address new human money administration disclosures.
Beginning with the 2020 10-K, the SEC demands general public providers to report on human money in SEC filings. The minimum amount necessity phone calls for providers to report the variety of men and women they use and to offer a description of the human money assets and measurement goals they use to manage their enterprise.
Many providers will be grappling with what is product to their enterprise and how much to disclose. Naturally, a robust workforce is product to the sustainability of any enterprise. Commence with addressing what your enterprise has now carried out to entice, keep and teach men and women.
Many of the 10-K HCM disclosures we have witnessed so considerably are additional qualitative than quantitative. We think that makes sense, in particular for providers without a set of absolutely vetted metrics. Since the 10-K is not ordinarily the initially spot traders discover information on a enterprise, we suggest together with HCM messages in other critical communications resources, in particular the proxy.
COVID taught us numerous lessons. Just one of the most important is untapped fairness in the narrative bordering your company’s journey via its pandemic calendar year. Properly taking care of via a crisis of this magnitude and complexity presents your business a exceptional possibility to develop belief, credibility, and corporate name via an enhanced emphasis on efficient stakeholder communications.
When the pandemic made leaders and laggards in each individual marketplace and sector, traders will in the long run evaluate how effectively providers demonstrated their resilience and adaptability in shaping procedures to surmount 2020’s remarkable hurdles.
10 issues for crafting your 2020 calendar year-end messaging strategy
- How did you manage via COVID in 2020?
- What lessons did you study that will make you a stronger enterprise in 2021?
- What achievements are you most very pleased of?
- How did you balance the wants of all stakeholders for the duration of the pandemic?
- What methods did you choose to progress your ESG tale in 2020—to make your office additional assorted and inclusive and shell out forward your HCM initiatives?
- What troubles continue to be, and what is your system and timeframe for addressing them?
- What is your choose on the rate of recovery in common and for your marketplace and enterprise?
- What is your development system for 2021 and outside of, together with organic development and M&A prospective customers?
- Did your organization turn out to be additional economical and successful as you adjusted your enterprise design in 2020? Is this sustainable?
- How will a new administration in Washington impact your enterprise?
Moira Conlon is the founder and president of Financial Profiles.